Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Month Happenings

I can't believe I've already been in California for over a month! I really hit the ground running when I got here August 11th and haven't really stopped since.

It's been a month of change and exciting new experiences. I've been adjusting to living in a new place, starting a new job, new friends, and am a part of a new church.

I absolutely love Mill Valley (where I live). It's just 10 minutes across the Golden Gate bridge. I'm close to the city, but far enough away that it's really calm and peaceful around here. I actually enjoy jogging here, surprisingly! It's just more inspiring when you can run along the water and see the San Francisco skyline in the distance.

I'm taking 4 seminary classes and they are going well so far. But oh my goodness...I forgot what it is like to study! I have spent so much time in the library it's ridiculous.

Perhaps the place I've gotten the most education though is at my new job as a nanny. I'm working for a family in Mill Valley with a 4.5 yr. old, a 2.5 yr. old and a 2 day old (as of today!) I'm definitely learning basic life skills that will help me both now and in the future if I'm ever a mom. Today we had a "water fun" day. Basically I let them loose with the hose on the deck and watched (from the inside!) as they soaked themselves. Dinner is always the time when milk it spit on the dog and pants are pooped in. But they really are sweet kids and I always come home with a good story!

As far as church/ministry goes, I got involved with a church plant in San Francisco called Big Fish For God. The vision of the church is to reach young adults and college students. I felt led to join this plant and help start an International student ministry. There are tons of internationals in the city, which was one of the main reasons I chose Golden Gate in the first place, so I'm pretty stoked to be involved with this ministry. I'm still praying for direction, but I know God will provide.

I know I've only been here a month, but I think God has already spoken to me pretty clearly about a couple of things and I've taken away some important lessons.

The other night I walked up to a hill on campus where you can see a good view of the city. It was really late and quiet and it was a good time for me to be alone with Jesus. I sat up there for a while in silence and tried to hear from God. Sometimes it's really hard for me to just listen to Him, but this particular night He spoke very clearly to me. It wasn't audible, but the words he spoke to me resonated deep within my heart. He said, "You love serving me more than you love me."
Ouch. As soon as I heard this from God I felt so convicted because I realized it was true. I always say, "I'm passionate about missions." or "I LOVE international people." But my primary response should be "I love JESUS!" Isn't He the reason I'm passionate about everything else?

Since I started seminary I have been BUSY busy busy. The weeks run together and schoolwork is never-ending cycle. It's a challenge to keep up a consistent quiet time, but God spoke clearly to me that it is essential to spend that daily time with him. Without it, I'm just going to go through the motions, stressing myself out, until I get a piece of paper with my degree on it. I want my seminary experience to be so much more than that. I want it to be a time of spiritual growth, fellowship with other believers, and a chance to serve my community. These things are only possible when I'm in constant conversation with Him.

I'm constantly being challenged and refined. I mess up every day, but thank goodness He is merciful, right?

Here's a picture from a few weeks ago when I walked the GG bridge with some friends.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Meredith! We need to have a skype date soon. For real. My soul misses you.

    I'm glad you are doing well and I love seeing what God is teaching you! It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes that I used to quote before leading worship:
    "Beware of getting ahead of God by your very desire to do His will. We run ahead of Him in a thousand and one activities, becoming so burdened with people and problems that we don't worship God."

    I think I need to remind myself of that EVERY DAY!

    ReplyDelete