Saturday, September 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I don't usually get homesick. Ever. But when I do come home, I am reminded of what a sweet place it really is. I've been home for a few days now and I have just had the best time being with family and friends.

I guess it's the simple things that I miss while I'm away. Like tonight I was just sitting around the piano with my brothers belting out to the Beatles in 3-part harmony. I wish I could do that more often. I miss taking a walk with my parents every night (even though I have to jog to keep up with them). And I've missed being close enough to go watch Taylor's sporting events and see Nathan's tap recitals (HAHA- had to throw that one in there, Nate :)

The other night I was able to go down to Campbell for the Chinese Moon Festival. I had forgotten how much I miss that place. As I was driving around campus, I was flooded with thousands of memories and I just had a huge grin on my face! Those four years of my life were so transformative and awesome. I was reunited with many friends, most of them international students that I haven't seen since I graduated. I was giddy for hours, laughing and reminiscing on the great times we had shared together. My favorite moment of the evening was when I surprised my friend Chioma. She had no idea I was in town, so I just opened her door without knocking and poked my head in. She was in her robe and was taking out her weave so there was a huge pile of hair on the floor! I tackled her and then we just burst into laughter!


In a way, I wish I lived closer to home, but I know that God has placed me where I am and He is continuing to provide for me. I really am happy to be in California, but it is so refreshing to be home.

Today my friend Natalie got married! I met Natalie in Sri Lanka four years ago and she's been my best friend ever since. We've traveled all over the world together and have shared so many crazy and unique experiences. I remember many nights in Sri Lanka when we would stay up late talking, dreaming about our future husbands. Our joke was that our toes would always wiggle out of excitement when we thought about getting married one day! I was so thrilled that Natalie's wedding day had finally come- and boy were her toes wiggling today!

Last night I stayed with her and we talked for a while until we eventually fell asleep. I said, "Natalie, do you realize this is probably the last time we will ever have a sleepover?" It was strange to think that in just 12 hours my best friend would have a new last name and her life would change drastically.

Today was full of giggles and flowers and nerves and tears and everything else that comes along with a wedding. The ceremony itself was really special and was truly a time of worship and committing their marriage to God. I am so happy for my friend. I hope one day my toes will wiggle too! Until then, I'll just be "Aunt Mary" when she starts having kiddos :)




...It's good to be home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment