Wednesday, February 10, 2010

God's Love Song to Me

Do you ever have those days when you just hunger for God?

I felt like that the other day. I had been constantly surrounded by people for the past week and my time with God had been cut short. Other than reading a few chapters of the Bible before closing my eyes each night, my "quiet time" had been lacking the depth and intimacy that I've known in the past.

I needed to get away and just be alone with God.

So I packed my bookbag, grabbed my guitar, and headed off to Spitting Caves, my favorite spot on this island. I'm pretty sure I've blogged about this place before. It's hidden in between two multi-million dollar houses up in a subdivision about 20 minutes away from where I live. You walk through a narrow path and climb down a few rocks and when you step out, you are standing on huge cliffs with the ocean crashing about 30 feet below. It takes my breath away every time.

I was the only person out there. I could imagine that I was the only person on the earth and Jesus had come to meet with me on that cliff. I had brought my Bible and journal and other books, but I didn't crack a single one of them open for the few hours I was there. The majority of the time I simply sat and admired God's creation.

My ipod was playing a song by Christy Nockels called, "A Mighty Fortress." I was so moved by the words.

"Our God is jealous for His own
None could comprehend His love and His mercy
Our God is exalted on His throne
High above the heavens, forever He's worthy

We will keep our eyes on you
We will keep our eyes on you

A mighty fortress is our God
A sacred refuge is Your name
Your kingdom is unshakeable
With You forever we will reign."

So as I'm listening to this song and singing at the top of my lungs, I look out in the distance and I see whales spouting water and flipping their tails! I laughed and couldn't contain my joy as I watched God's marvelous creation. I felt like God was putting on a show just for me. As if the whales weren't enough, a pack of dolphins swam right beneath me. They jumped up in the air and did flips and played with one another as if they, too, were experiencing the joy that I had at that moment.

I stood on the edge of the cliff and looked into the deep blue water. As the breeze blew against me, it was almost as if I could audibly hear God whispering, "My daughter...this is how much I love you." Though the sun was warm, my skin was covered with goose bumps. It was one of the most intimate worship experiences I've ever had.

I felt like God was wrapping his arms around me and showering me with his presence. It was as if God was singing me a love song. Though I was completely alone out there, never in my life have I felt so loved. I was so overwhelmed in that moment that I began to feel tears on my cheeks. Before I knew it, I was weeping...I just couldn't understand how God could possibly love me so much.

I lifted up my hands and reached as high as I could in an attempt to get even closer to God. If only I could reach out and touch him. I felt so free and so overwhelmed with God's presence. I didn't want to leave.

Once the sun began to set and I had to head home, I took one last look at the ocean and made a mental note to never forget that day. I knew that this would be one of those "spiritual markers" that I will look back on and remember how much God loves me when I begin to doubt .

I was still in awe as I was driving home. I prayed out loud, "Man, God....I should spend time with you more often."

And it's so true. I wonder how many moments I have missed out on because I am so consumed with myself. That day God really showed me that every day He is eagerly waiting for me to spend time with Him. To dwell in His presence and just sit with Him and talk to Him.

I want to experience this more. And I have a feeling it doesn't have to be on a cliff with whales and dolphins. He is waiting for us every day to come to Him and experience His love in the simplest ways.

God, sing me another love song.

2 comments:

  1. Meredith! Hi! I must say, im sitting in class reading this & I got those goose bumps just from your words. Isn't God WONDERFUL!! I love those times of complete intimacy with God, it is unlike anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Meredith! I hope you have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete