Thursday, March 19, 2009

Burst the "Bubble"

How many people do you know who are not Christians?

Tonight at BSU we were talking about how easy it is to find ourselves in a Christian bubble. We surround ourselves with Christians, listen to Christian music, go to Bible studies and campus ministries every night. All of these things are great. But sometimes I get so caught up in doing these Christian activities that I neglect to actually invest in people who are not Christians.

My freshman year of college, I was in 7 different Bible studies. Every single night of the week, I had one or two religious meetings to go to. I soon realized that God did not desire me to spend all of my time with other believers. I was getting fed spiritually but I didn't have time to practice it because I was so busy.

Since I have been in college, I have been blessed with many opportunities to get to know people from many different beliefs and religions. These friendships have challenged me and strengthened my faith. God has broken my heart so many times and urged me to pray fervently for my dear friends. My greatest fear of going to seminary one day is that I will become so comfortable in the Christian environment that I will not interact with people who are not believers.

We should not be of the world, but we are called to be in it. That means that we may need to burst the Christian bubble we are in and show the world what Jesus is all about.

Meredith

p.s. Got my ticket to Hawaii today...it's official!

2 comments:

  1. I think if going to seminary doesn't challenge you to burst your 'bubble' then something must be quite wrong...perhaps being surrounded by Christians all the time will challenge you even more to step out. It can be quite a nurturing environment because soon you'll notice something is missing when you're only with Christians...

    ReplyDelete