Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Don't get too comfortable

After spending the past few days in San Francisco and having some alone time to reflect, I've discovered something...I don't want to tiptoe through life.

I've had people say to me, "Isn't San Francisco like...really liberal? It's dangerous right? And aren't there tons of gay people?!"

Yes, yes, and...yes.

But does that turn me off? Not a bit. If anything, that makes me want to go more.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the last thing I want to do is live a "safe" life. I could very easily live in a cute little house in the Bible Belt for the rest of my life and never encounter the "dangers" of the world. But is that really what I've been called to do?

I don't think so. There are so many people in the world who are starving for the gospel. Places like San Francisco and New York City and Europe and Raleigh desperately need Jesus. As Christians, I think it's easy to stay in our comfort zone. We think, "Oh, that's too far away," or, "That's way too risky."

Friends, we're called to be risk-takers.

I don't want to miss out on the things that God has in store for me because I want to play it safe. After all, if God is on our side, who can be against us?

Of course some of us are called to live in the Bible Belt, to minister to the quiet suburbs of America. But what if God is calling some of us to go to the "liberal" cities, to the homeless, to the dangerous places, to people who are very different from us. Would we be willing to risk our comfort zone to go?

I can't think of anything more fulfilling than answering God's call, knowing that He is in control and will provide protection and contentment.

So I've decided I'm not going to tiptoe through life. I am going to fix my eyes on Jesus and run with all my might.

3 comments:

  1. you're right on target, as usual! i am so restless about the same issue right now!

    there is a time i remember very vividly from college (my sophomore year) when i remember getting in my car one night, crying my eyes out because i was so confused as to what i needed to do with my life...where certain relationships, etc would take me...and i was talking out loud to God, questioning and yell-talking. i prayed "God, i give you permission to do whatever you want with me, including living a risky, never-knowing-what's-going-to-happen-next, out of the ordinary life!"

    (since, i've "eaten my words" a few times of course, but i think it's for tbe better!)

    anyway, i completely agree! san fran is the place to be! the people are amazing and God's creation on the coast of CA is breathtaking! go enjoy some pier 49 seafood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, awesome, and more awesome! girl you're gonna be the next donald miller... and by the way, we really should start traveling together! i think between the two of us we could pretty much cover the globe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mere,
    i hope you know how much you inspire me, encourage me and make me feel super special. most importantly, i hope you know how much i love you :)

    -care

    ReplyDelete