Friday, April 24, 2009

Encounter- a journey to remember

It's 6 o'clock on Friday night and the Memorial House is filled with excitement, laughter and the aroma of yummy food. As international students walk in the door of the small white house, they are greeted with a hug and instantly become immersed in conversation with their friends.

We all join hands, bless the food and share a meal at the table together before we enter our time of worship. As the lights dim, a different atmosphere is set and the strum of a guitar echoes through the room. Beautiful harmonies float through the air, singing praises to the One true God. People from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Moldova, Iraq, Taiwan, and many other countries lift their voices together.

The worship is real and honest. The presence of the Holy Spirit is so evident that it causes me to tremble. I am in awe of the fact that God has allowed me to meet so many amazing people from all over the world. No matter the color of our skin or the language we speak, He knows and loves each one of us intimately.

As we dig into the Word of God together, we are challenged by the different perspectives each person brings to the table. One girl talks about the war in her home country, another shares about how afraid she was when she came to America, not knowing a soul.

This is what Encounter is all about. It's a place for internationals and Americans to come together and fellowship, worship and love. For me, Encounter has become like a family. The friendships I have made with these sweet people are so deep because they are founded on the one thing we have in common: our faith in God.

Tonight was my last Encounter. I feel a mix of emotions. I'm heartbroken to leave some of the best friends I've ever had. But there's a part of me that believes I will remain close with them, even when I'm gone next year.

I also know that it's time for me to move on. God brought me to Campbell four years ago and has taught me so much. But now, He's leading me in a different direction. I praise Him because I will still be doing international student ministry next year. He is allowing me to do the thing that makes my heart sing!

I am so thankful for Encounter. It has been such a significant part of my college journey, and I will treasure those memories and friendships for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment