Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tuning my heart

Since I'm getting ready to graduate next month, I came up with a list of things I want to do or accomplish in my life. I'm putting them on here so I'll have some accountability!

-go back to sri lanka (preferably sooner than later)
-work with orphans in africa and/or india
-publish a book (or at least contribute to one!)
-go to seminary
-visit every continent (but not antarctica..too cold)
-record some of my songs (so i won't forget them!)
-hopefully get married one day and be a mom
-learn how to cook
-go sky diving
-be a missionary

It will be interesting to look back in a few years and see how many or if any of these things have happened. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream. Sometimes I have to check my heart though and make sure that my desires line up with God's.

A dear friend of mine was telling me yesterday how she was so confused and aimless about the future after her post-graduation plans recently fell through. She thought God wanted her in that position, but when the door closed, she wondered if she hadn't heard God correctly or if He was just changing the direction of her life. I have been in the same position many times, and it's a scary feeling. Sometimes God's voice is drowned out by the chaos of my life where my own plans and desires take over.

So here's a cheesy analogy: Today I was tuning my guitar and it took me forever to get the sound just right. If one of the strings is slightly out of tune, it messes up the whole sound. I had to keep plucking each string over and over until it was perfectly in tune in order to be able to play. I was reminded that God does the same thing with me. Sometimes I am way off. I don't take the time to listen to Him. I do my own thing, and I end up going really "flat." It messes up the sound. But recently my prayer has become, "Lord, I want to be in tune with you." It doesn't just magically happen, but He works on me for a while, plucking over and over, until I am perfectly in tune. I must admit I don't stay in tune for long, but I ask Him again and again to work in my heart and allow me to desire the things that He desires.

If we seek Jesus, our desires will become more like His. So even if nothing on this list ever happens, I just want to be in tune with Him.

3 comments:

  1. girl, you already are a missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Rachel said! We are all called to be missionaries!! You have a wonderful heart and i'm totally there with you, a lot of those things you have on your list...match mine as well except for writing a book or whatever, I would never be able to do that! lol. But your right as long as we are in Tune with God he will work out the rest!! I love you! NAME THAT TUNE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had learned much sooner than I did the wisdom you've apprehended. I think you're so right on the money with keeping your focus on walking with God into the wonderful journey that lay ahead. It's not about location as much as vocation; not about destination as much as journey; not about what as much as who ... or whom--whichever it's supposed to be--I can never remember. Either way my prayers go with you!

    ReplyDelete